Regis University is a coeducational university which includes the Anderson College of Business and Computing, Regis College, and the Rueckert-Hartman College for Health Professions, all conducted in the Jesuit tradition at the Northwest Denver Campus, Denver, Colorado, and at other institutional sites in Colorado.
The Seal of Regis University
Symbols used in the seal include the following:
- The Latin Universitas Regisiana Societatis Jesu translates as “Regis University of the Society of Jesus” and names the University and its sponsoring organization, the Jesuit Order.
- The crown is a symbol of the University’s patron, St. John Francis Regis. The word regis in Latin means “of the King.”
- John Francis Regis, Jean-Francois Regis in his native language, was a Jesuit saint who lived 1597-1640. Known as the “Father of the Poor,” he was a teacher, missionary and champion of the outcast in the Massif Central, a mountainous district of France located west of the Alps.
- 1877 is the founding date of the University.
- The mountains are symbolic both of the Rocky Mountains and of the mountains of the Massif Central where St. John Francis Regis lived and worked.
- The letters IHS are the Greek letters Iota, Eta, Sigma, the first three letters of the word “Jesus.” The letters IHS within a sunburst comprise the seal of the Society of Jesus. The Jesuit seal is found on the pediment at the front entry of Main Hall, Lowell campus.
- The alternating stripes (originally red and gold) are from the shield of the Onaz-Loyola family. St. Ignatius Loyola, born in 1491, founded the Jesuits in 1540.
- The motto “Men and Women in Service of Others,” in Latin Homines Ad Serviendum Aliis, is an expression used to describe the purpose of Jesuit education: to form men and women who use their knowledge and energies in the unselfish service of others. The motto also expresses the desire of Regis’ faculty and staff to be of service to students and the community.
Regis college Change to Regis University
Regis College adopted Regis University as its institutional name effective July 1, 1991.
The academic structure of the institution retains Regis College as the name of the unit offering traditional undergraduate and graduate programs in the liberal arts, sciences, and education. Within Regis College, the School for Professional Advancement serves adult learners through a spectrum of innovative undergraduate and graduate degrees in Humanities and Social Sciences. The Anderson College of Business and Computing offers traditional and accelerated undergraduate and graduate programs in Business, Economics, Management, and Computer and Information Sciences. The Rueckert-Hartman College for Health Professions offers undergraduate programs in nursing, and health care administration. Graduate programs are offered in counseling, health services administration, nursing, physical therapy, and pharmacy.
Regis currently serves students in both graduate and undergraduate programs through three academic units at four campuses. Current campus locations are Northwest Denver (Lowell), DTC, Colorado Springs, and Thornton.
History of Regis University
In 1540, when Ignatius Loyola founded the Society of Jesus--a community of companions and scholars resolved to serve their fellow men -- a guiding principle of the Society was that it would meet the needs of its age and would “form leaders who would carry forth into their personal and professional lives a mission of service to others.” For four centuries, the Jesuit fathers have been perfecting an educational tradition of academic excellence, value-centered education, and service to the community.
The Society of Jesus (Jesuits) is an international Roman Catholic religious order of priests and brothers known for its missionary and educational work. The Jesuit education network extends to more than 2,000 institutions of various types and levels, including 177 universities and 356 high schools. Ten thousand Jesuits and nearly 100,000 lay people provide education for more than 1.8 million students in 56 countries around the world. In the United States, there are 46 Jesuit high schools and 27 Jesuit colleges and universities.
Regis University has continued the Jesuit tradition since 1877, when a band of Jesuit missionaries from Naples, Italy, carved out a college on the edge of the desert in New Mexico, and named it Las Vegas College.
In 1884, Bishop Joseph P. Machbeuf of the Diocese of Denver, eager to have a respected school for boys in Colorado, persuaded the Jesuits to open a new college in Morrison, Colorado, named Sacred Heart College. In 1888, when the Morrison site proved too remote, Dominic Pantanella, S.J., the first president, moved the college, now combined with Las Vegas College and known as College of the Sacred Heart, to its present location in northwest Denver where it included the College and an associated Jesuit high school.
Through an 1888 act of the Colorado state legislature, the College was empowered to confer college degrees, and the first graduation exercises were in 1890. In 1917, the College established a four-year curriculum separate from the high school and, in 1921, the high school and College were renamed “Regis” in honor of St. John Francis Regis, an 18th century Jesuit missionary from the mountains of France.
Main Hall, built in 1887, was the only building on the campus until expansion began in 1911 with the addition of the gymnasium. Today, the Regis University Lowell campus includes 17 buildings on 90 acres.
Regis was initially accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA) now the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) in 1921. In 1952, Regis was accredited as a four-year, degree-granting college. Student enrollment has increased steadily, with a large expansion coming immediately after World War II.
Recognizing the need for educating men and women together, the College became a coeducational institution in 1968. In 1979, because of the expanding needs of high school and college education, Regis Jesuit High School and Regis College became independent institutions.
In 1977, Regis College began to offer selected programs to adult learners through classes at Fort Carson and Peterson Air Force Base and in temporary facilities at St. Mary’s High School in Colorado Springs, Colorado. From 1977 through 2015, career programs (the College for Professional Studies) expanded to include master’s degree programs in business administration, computer information technology, education, counseling, management, nonprofit management, software and information systems and an individually designed program as well as a wide choice of undergraduate majors, offered at several campus and off- campus locations.
In 1981, Regis acquired a permanent location to house its Colorado Springs programs. In 2013, the counseling program moved from the College for Professional Studies to the Rueckert-Hartman College for Health Professions. In 2014, the College of Computer & Information Sciences was launched and the computer programs from the College for Professional Studies, Regis College, and the Rueckert-Hartman College for Health Professions moved into that College. In 2015, the College of Business and Economics was created and the business, economics and management programs from Regis College and the College for Professional Studies moved into that college. In fall 2018, the College of Business and Economics was renamed the Anderson College of Business. Beginning spring 2016, the College for Professional Studies officially became the College of Contemporary Liberal Studies.
In 1981, the Board of Trustees established “The National Commission of the Future of Regis College” to examine the College’s purposes and develop a plan for its future needs. Drawing upon the expertise of distinguished corporate, civic, religious, and educational leaders, the National Commission offered 257 recommendations, which outlined for the Board of Trustees an imaginative and vigorous vision of Regis. The result was the development, implementation, and successful completion of the College’s largest fund-raising effort in history--the $15 million “Commitment to the Future.”
The Commitment to the Future was a key element in assuring the future success of Regis University. In addition to that major effort, the University is fortunate to include among its resources, the funds contributed by individuals, corporations, and foundations in general support of the University and in support of specific programs.
In 1988, the Loretto Heights nursing program moved to Regis University when Loretto Heights College closed. In the same year, University Without Walls moved from Loretto Heights College to Regis University and became part of the College for Professional Studies. In 1991, the Health Care Programs became the School for Health Care Professions. The name was changed to the Rueckert-Hartman School for Health Professions in 2004. In 2007, the School was renamed the Rueckert-Hartman College for Health Professions and the nursing department became the Loretto Heights School of Nursing.
The Mission of the University
As a Jesuit Catholic university, Regis seeks to build a more just and humane world through transformative education at the frontiers of faith, reason, and culture.
Elements of the Mission
As a university, Regis draws from wellsprings of ancient wisdom and explores new horizons of thought and imagination to pursue truth, strive for justice, and cultivate beauty. In everything, Regis shepherds the development of the whole person in relation to the common good, asking, “How ought we to live?”
As Catholic, part of a global community of faith called to celebrate and embody God’s love in the world, Regis educates diverse students for lives of service and meaning, equips them with knowledge and skills to be discerning persons in solidarity with others, especially all who are poor or whose dignity has been violated, and empowers them to care for the Earth, our common home.
As Jesuit, rooted in an Ignatian spirituality of Christian discipleship and open to the sacred in all human cultures, Regis aspires to be a community of learners who labor for a transformed world and renewed ecosystem, and who journey as companions, responsible to each other.
|Regis University, then known as Las Vegas College, was established in Las Vegas, New Mexico.
|A second venture, known as Sacred Heart College, was started in Morrison, Colorado, while Las Vegas College continued to operate in Las Vegas, New Mexico.
|Las Vegas College and Sacred Heart College were combined and moved to the newly completed Main Hall in Denver, Colorado, where the joint operation was known as the College of the Sacred Heart.
|Classes began with 75 students on September 5.
|The College was empowered to confer university and college degrees by an Act of the State Legislature of Colorado on April 1.
|Ten degrees were awarded.
|The gymnasium, known as the Robert J. O’Sullivan Center, was completed behind Main Hall.
|On April 19, the Articles of Incorporation were amended to change the name of the College to Regis College, effective July 1. The North Central Association of Colleges and Schools granted accreditation as a junior college. Through a contest by the school newspaper, "Rangers" was selected as the athletic team name.
|Regis purchased 40 acres to extend the campus boundary west to Federal Boulevard, an area that presently includes Regis Square shopping center, Match Pitch, Lot 6, and the softball fields. Carroll Hall and the Northeast addition to Main Hall were completed. Carroll Hall student residence and an addition to Main Hall were completed.
|Lay members joined the Jesuits on the faculty of Regis College.
|Regis Men’s Club was created as a lay board to advise Jesuit Trustees on publicity, advertising, facilities, and alumni relations.
|Regis Professor Rev. Conrad Bilgery, S.J., and a group of students excavated fossils of two complete mammoth skeletons in Weld County. It was considered one of the most significant archeological finds in the state of Colorado.
|The dramatic effect of World War II on enrollment was shown when Regis graduated three students.
|Coeducational evening classes were established.
|Loyola Hall was completed and served as the main classroom building.
|Regis received accreditation from the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools to grant four-year degrees.
|Women were permitted to attend day classes for the first time.
|The first female faculty member was hired.
|Regis had its first graduating class of more than 100 students. O’Connell Hall student residence and the Student Center were completed. Renovation of other major campus buildings, extensive renovation of campus facilities and relandscaping were completed.
|The Civis Princeps award was created to recognize outstanding citizens of Colorado. Regis’ Little Cemetery of the Jesuits, located east of present day Claver Hall and resting spot for 43 priests, lay teachers, and brothers, and one student, was relocated to Mt. Olivet Cemetery in Wheat Ridge.
|Joe B. Hall became athletics director and basketball coach. In 1965, he joined the University of Kentucky basketball program, becoming its head coach in 1972 and winning a NCAA championship in 1978.
|The Regis College Field House was completed.
|The Student Center was substantially enlarged.
|DeSmet Hall student residence was completed.
|A $2.2 million capital fund-raising campaign was completed, and the Science Building and Dayton Memorial Library (built with a grant from Elizabeth Dayton) were completed.
|The status of Regis College was changed to that of a coeducational institution, effective September 1, welcoming 130 women, of which 35 lived on campus. Rock guitarist Jim Hendrix performed in Regis Field House on Valentine’s Day.
|West Hall student residence was completed. David M. Clarke, S.J., became the 22nd President of Regis College and the first President to hold office by virtue of a vote of the Board of Trustees, rather than by appointment by the Provincial and approval by the Trustees.
|The American Association of University Professors was voted to be the collective bargaining agent for the Regis College undergraduate faculty.
|On April 16, the British rock band Queen performed its first show for an American audience in the Regis Field House. The United States Army Medical Equipment and Optical School program was established.
|Carroll Hall was renovated and became the residence for the Regis Jesuit community.
|Centennial Year. Regis Career Education Program (RECEP), the first accelerated undergraduate program for adults, began in Colorado Springs, Colorado, at the request of Fort Carson.
|The President’s Council was established. MBA (Master of Business Administration) was established as the first graduate program.
|The high school and college became separate corporations under separate leadership. The Regis Career Education Program II (RECEP II) was established in Denver.
|The campus at Colorado Springs, Colorado, was established.
|The old gymnasium was renovated and dedicated as Robert J. O’Sullivan Center to house the Regis College Theatre and offices for RECEP II. The Master of Arts in Adult Christian Community Development (MAACCD) program was established.
|An administrative reorganization was carried out: four Vice Presidents directly under the President; Academic Dean for Campus Programs and Academic Dean for Career Programs directly under the Academic Vice President. The Denver Tech Center campus was established.
|The Coors Life Directions Center, built with a grant from the Adolph Coors Foundation, was completed.
|Loretto Heights College closed and its nursing and University Without Walls programs moved from Loretto Heights to Regis College.
|Mary Ann Lehmkuhle O’Hara, a 1986 Regis graduate studying medicine at Johns Hopkins University, was named a Rhodes Scholar. The College completed the $15 million “Commitment to the Future” development program by raising $16.5 million. The Boulder, Colorado, campus was established.
|Regis Jesuit High School moved to a new campus in Aurora and the College purchased and occupied the high school buildings and grounds.
|On July 1, Regis College became Regis University with three constituent schools, Regis College, the School for Professional Studies, and the School for Health Care Professions.
|The Board of Trustees named Michael J. Sheeran, S.J., president of Regis University, and David M. Clarke, S.J., chancellor.
|On August 12, Pope John Paul II and President Bill Clinton met in the President’s Dining Room in Carroll Hall. First Lady Hillary Clinton also attended. Michael J Sheeran, S.J., was inaugurated as the 23rd President of Regis University. USA Today named Regis University student Hung Pham to its College All-Academic Team.
|Regis College Chemistry faculty member Surendra Mahapatro received a Fulbright Professorship to teach in Belize, South America.
|College for Professional Studies faculty member Matjaž Bren received a Fulbright Professorship to teach in Slovenia.
|Regis University, in conjunction with the PeaceJam Youth Conference, hosted Nobel Peace Laureates Betty Williams and Rigoberta Menchu Tum.
|Regis received a $3 million gift from an anonymous donor in memory of alumnus Rev. C.B. “Woody” Woodrich’s service to the poor and indigent. The campus at Fort Collins was established. Dayton Memorial Library was rededicated after a $5 million renovation. Nobel Peace Prize recipient His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet visited Regis.
|Nobel Peace Prize recipients Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Mairead Corrigan Maguire visited Regis. School for Professional Studies faculty member Jonathan Hochberg received a Fulbright Professorship to teach in Uruguay.
|The School for Health Care Professions hosted former American Red Cross President Elizabeth Dole as the keynote speaker marking the 10th anniversary of the school. Regis University was one of 100 schools recognized for leadership in the field of student character development in “The Templeton Guide: Colleges that Encourage Character Development”. Campuses at Las Vegas, Nevada, and Interlocken at Broomfield, Colorado, were established. Nobel Peace Prize recipient Jose Ramos-Horta visited Regis.
|USA Today named Regis University student Charity Tillemann-Dick to its College All-Academic Team. The Center for the Study of Accelerated Learning was inaugurated in the College for Professional Studies. The Institute on the Common Good brought Nobel Peace Prize recipient Oscar Arias to Regis. The Arboretum at Regis was dedicated on the Lowell campus.
|In August, the School for Health Care Professions ushered in the University’s first doctoral program in Physical Therapy. Nobel Peace Prize recipients Adolfo Perez Esquivel and Elie Wiesel visited Regis. New Ventures separated and became a not-for-profit corporation of Regis University.
|Nobel Peace Prize recipient Jody Williams visited Regis. Residential townhouses were built to accommodate 180 students in two-story townhouse apartment “flats.” Regis University began a year-long celebration of its 125th anniversary.
|John Hume became the eleventh Nobel Peace Prize Laureate to visit Regis since 1996. A second campus in Las Vegas, Nevada opened. The Ranger Dome was completed.
|Thanks to a $5.7 million gift from Doyle and Margaret Hartman, Carroll Hall was completely renovated. The first stage of a major renovation of Main Hall opened the third and fourth floors for office and classroom use. The Center for the Study of War Experience officially opened. The School for Health Care Professions was renamed the Rueckert-Hartman School for Health Professions.
|Ground was broken for a new chapel over the site of the Robert J. O’Sullivan Center, and the arts center moved to the former chapel. Sister Helen Prejean, C.S.J., author of the best-selling Dead Man Walking, received an honorary degree. The Gerard Manley Hopkins, S.J., Poetry and Prayer Garden, featuring a sculpture of the Jesuit poet, was dedicated on the east side of Carroll Hall.
|World leaders Lech Walesa of Poland and President Mary McAleese of Ireland visited the Lowell campus. Nursing Professor Barbara White was named a Fulbright Scholar to Seoul, Korea. Two new campuses opened in Aurora and Longmont. The academy founded by Men’s Basketball Coach Lonnie Porter to help Denver area at-risk children was renamed Porter-Billups Leadership Academy in honor of NBA star Chauncey Billups, who became a partner. David Trimble became the 13th Nobel Peace Prize Laureate to visit Regis University in 10 years.
|Regis University reorganized, changing the name to college for each of its three academic entities: Regis College, College for Professional Studies and Rueckert-Hartman College for Health Professions, with departments within each college renamed as schools. For the 13th consecutive year, U.S. News and World Report ranked Regis University a top school in the West. Denver Archbishop Charles J. Chaput, O.F.M. Cap., officially dedicated the St. John Francis Regis Chapel on the Lowell campus. The largest campaign in the history of the University, “The Campaign for Regis University, Writing the Next Chapter,” officially concluded, raising $82.7 million. The MBA program was added to the Fort Collins campus.
|The Felix Pomponio Family Science Center opened its doors following an extensive renovation made possible by a gift from Leonard, Rosemarie and Yolanda Pomponio, who provided the principal funding. Colorado Governor Bill Ritter proclaimed Friday, February 15, as Father Michael J. Sheeran, S.J., Day in honor of his accomplishments and service to the community.
|Regis University senior William Gohl was named a 2010 American Rhodes Scholar, becoming the second Regis student to earn that distinction. The new School of Pharmacy in the Rueckert-Hartman College for Health Professions officially opened its doors welcoming 53 students who comprise the first Doctor of Pharmacy class. Thanks to a gift from the Martin Family Trust, Regis University dedicated the Lois Beebe Hayna Creative Writing Center, honoring renowned poet Lois Beebe Hayna. The College for Professional Studies and Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Occidente (ITESO), the Jesuit University of Guadalajara, Mexico, signed an agreement to initiate CPS’s first online bilingual joint degree program -- an MBA specializing in emerging markets.
|Father Michael Sheeran, S.J., announced his retirement, effective May 31, 2012, after 19 years as University president. Rev. John P. Fitzgibbons, S.J., named 24th University president effective June 1, 2012. Regis University opened a new dual-language campus in Thornton, Colorado.
|Rev. John P. Fitzgibbons, S.J., was inaugurated as the 24th president of Regis University on September 25, 2012. For the 18th consecutive year Regis University earned a top tier ranking for best colleges and universities by U.S. News & World Report. Regis College biology professor Catherine Kleier earned a Fulbright Award. Regis University hosted the first Jesuit Commons: Higher Education at the Margins international “think tank” designed to envision and chart the future of a program that has been providing online education to refugees in Kenya, Malawi and Syria. Regis University was named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll with Distinction for the second consecutive year. The Regis College Teacher Education Program became the first in Colorado to be approved for the new Culturally and Linguistically Diverse endorsement standards at the undergraduate education level.
|Regis University opened the College of Computer & Information Sciences (CCIS), the first college in Colorado dedicated to the field. A pioneer in online learning, Regis developed a cloud platform that provides constant access to the latest software and technology, ensures continued educational evolution and enhances student learning outcomes. To meet the growing demands of the expanding computer industry bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees, or academic certificates in computer science, Computer Networking, Computer Information Systems, Health Care Informatics and Information Management, Business Technology Management, Database Technologies, Information and Cyber Security, Software Engineering, Systems Engineering and Data Sciences.
|Long-time Regis men’s basketball coach Alonzo “Lonnie” Porter retired after 38 years, a tenure unsurpassed in length by any college men’s basketball coach in Colorado history. With a career record of 533-482, the five-time conference coach of the year has also amassed more victories than any other men’s hoops coach in state history. His win total ranks 10th among all active NCAA Division II men’s coaches and 31st all time. Sherman Alexie, named one of The New Yorker’s 20 top writers for the 21st century and author of "Blasphemy" and "The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian", held a reading on the Northwest Denver campus. Nobel Peace Laureate Leymah Gbowee visited the Northwest Campus as part of the two-day Rocky Mountain PeaceJam Leadership Conference, an event that engages youth through workshops, service learning projects and opportunities to engage with local community organizations.
|The Netflix basketball movie, “The Amateur” starring Josh Charles, was filmed in the Regis Field House. Volleyball coach Frank Lavrisha retired after 30 seasons.
|The Gronowski Innovation Incubator Lab was established in Clarke Hall thanks to a gift from Jamie and Elizabeth Ann Gronowski. Regis hosted the 2017 Opus Prize ceremony, which awards $1.2 million to faith-based nonprofits that address pressing social justice issues around the world. Actor Bill Murray attended his Regis College class’ 45th reunion. A catastrophic hail storm caused $2.3 million in damage to campus the Monday after commencement.
|The Vincent J. Boryla Apartments opened one block south of the Lowell campus and houses upper class and graduate students. The 1,300-tree arboretum on the Lowell campus received accreditation. Regis alumna Dianne Primavera was elected Lieutenant Governor of Colorado. The Anderson College of Business was established thanks to a $10 million gift by alumnus Andy Anderson. Regis ranked in the top 8 nationally among master’s institutions for producing faculty Fulbright Scholars.
|Regis University was elevated from the “Master’s Large” to the more prestigious “Doctoral Professional Universities” category in the latest Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. A $10.8 million renovation of the Student Center was completed. President Rev. John P. Fitzgibbons, S.J gave the opening prayer at the U.S. House of Representatives in D.C. at the invitation of Regis graduate and U.S. Rep. Gil Cisneros of California. A cyberattack crippled the university’s data network on move-in day; campus classes started on time but online classes were delayed a week. New mascot, Regi, a fox, was introduced to replace the cowboy Roamin.’
|A coronavirus pandemic forced residence halls to close in March and classes to be virtual in the spring; commencement ceremonies were postponed until late July with masks required and no guests allowed. Traditional fall semester was truncated to end before Thanksgiving, some classes were held outside and athletics postponed until spring as pandemic continued. A $20.5 million expansion of DeSmet Hall, a refurbishment of the Our Lady of Loretto grotto, and the new Berce Athletic Center were completed. The Anderson College of Business and the College of Computer and Information Science were combined and the College of Contemporary Liberal Studies became the School for Professional Advancement within Regis College. RueckertHartman College for Health Professions and HealthONE, the region’s largest healthcare provider, entered into an academic partnership. The Colorado Springs campus closed.
|As pandemic continued, traditional spring semester started a week late and spring break was cancelled. All residential students required to test negative for coronavirus before moving back to campus; all staff and students required to be vaccinated for the coronavirus. Regis announced academic partnerships with Temple University and Xavier University of Louisiana. History Professor Nicki Gonzales became the first Latina state historian. The Porter-Billups Leadership Academy celebrated its 25th anniversary. University Advancement launched “Manifiest Magis,” a $150 million comprehensive capital campaign. Regis provided 19,000 square feet of space in Lot 6 for a “Safe Outdoor Space,” a secured tent facility to provide temporary shelter for people experiencing homelessness and seeking to transition to stable housing. The SOS, managed by a city-funded nonprofit, operated on the site for a year from June to June. President Fitzgibbons resigned effective Dec. 31.
|Cody Teets became interim president on Jan, 1, becoming Regis’ first female and lay leader serving until December when Rev. Kevin Burke, S.J. became acting president. The first games – A Regis women’s lacrosse game and an Arrupe Jesuit High School soccer game -- were played on two new, illuminated artificial turf fields that replaced natural practice fields east of Clarke Hall. A new partnership with Colorado Rapids Youth Soccer establishes Regis as a regional center for soccer and foosball practices and games. Regis launches the Global Inclusive Program, a post-secondary education program for students with intellectual development disabilities (IDD), and Inside/Outside, a program offering prisoners in four state prisons the opportunity to earn college credit virtually, alongside on-campus students.
|Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Salvador Aceves became the 27th president of Regis on January 1, becoming Regis' first Latino and first permanent lay leader. At the request of the city, Regis houses over 40 documented asylum seekers from Venezuela, many of them children, for a week until the city can provide transportation to their final destinations in the U.S. and Canada. The Denver Tech Center campus closes.