Dr. Tyler Imfeld, Assistant Professor, Director
Office: Graduate Environmental Biology
Room 227 Felix Pomponio Family Science Center
Mail Code: D-8
3333 Regis Boulevard
Denver, CO 80221-1099
The Master of Science in Environmental Biology Program in Regis College is designed for students who have completed an undergraduate degree and basic undergraduate science coursework and seek to pursue careers in Environmental Science. This program provides focused study of the environment with an emphasis on environmental-study design and assessment along with a direct externship or research experience in an area of interest to the student. Additionally, all students complete an integrated field-based project with local partner agencies. Students also integrate their diverse program experiences with their coursework in the production of the final four-chapter master's project. The Program’s mission is to prepare students academically for the next steps in their lives, particularly refining and achieving their environmental career goals.
This program may be completed in two formats, a 10-month intensive program including afternoon and evening courses or a two-year program involving the same courses spread over two years. The 10-month intensive Program courses are scheduled to allow students larger blocks of time for studying, working part-time, or completing an externship. Given the time demands of this M.S. program and its required externship or research requirement (10-15 hours per week), it is highly recommended that students completing this program in one year not be employed for more than 15 hours per week. Courses are classroom, laboratory, or field based. The M.S. degree requires completion of a written final project comprising four chapters written in two colloquium courses and one externship course and a year-long field project requiring three field trips.
The Environmental Biology Program is distinguished by a faculty with doctoral degrees in scientific disciplines and expertise in environmental biology.
- Any baccalaureate degree earned from a US based regionally accredited college or university, or international equivalent.
- Complete online graduate application.
- Recommended undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or above from the baccalaureate degree-granting institution. Earned graduate credits may be considered in the GPA requirement as approved by the program director. A minimum 2.7 grade point average is required.
- One academic or professional recommendation submitted with the application. A recommendation form completed by a college or university instructor in the natural sciences or mathematics is preferred, if available. Character references from friends or family will not fulfill this requirement.
- Completion of the following pre-requisite collegiate coursework with a grade of C- or higher from a regionally accredited college or university:
- A year of general or introductory biology for science students with laboratories
- A semester of ecology (must be a course with ecology content and with an introductory biology pre-requisite)
- A semester of general and/or inorganic chemistry for science students with laboratories
- A semester of collegiate statistics
- A course in English composition
- Additional courses in ecology and evolution also are recommended but not required.
Note: The natural science and mathematics coursework must have been completed within the last 6 years. The Program Director may allow substitution of other coursework for specifically identified prerequisite courses or may waive the within-6-years requirement for courses on a case-by-case basis. Probationary admission may be granted to students with deficiencies in the above criteria.
- Ability to complete field work, including the ability to complete a one-mile hike on uneven ground.
Environmental Biology Program Charges for the 2023– 2024 Academic Years
|Tuition (per semester hour)
|General Fee (per semester hour)
|Student Activity Fee (applies to students with one or more credit hours per semester)
|Wellness Offset Fee (per course, excludes online courses)
|Course Material Fee (per semester hour)1
|Graduation Application Fee
|Estimated field cost 2
Information regarding tuition payment options and refunds of tuition is available in the General Information section of this Catalog.